Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Macaroni & Hotdogs

I haven't had this since I was a kid. It was real hotdog-meat back then, though. And until I found this can (yeah, can; weird) of vegan hotdogs in Hong Kong, I hadn't given this dish another thought since I gave up meat like... five-ish/six-ish years ago.

The recipe (that's a generous term) I'm about to share with you is an old family favorite from both my mom and my dad. Once, my dad stood up my mom ("Well, he was extremely late," she said) because my dad's grandmother made him this after he did some yard work for her. Apparently, she was the best at it.

It doesn't even really have a name. It's just "macaroni and hotdogs," I guess. Similar recipes with all kinds of other silly ingredients are called "Hotdog Stew," but that one kinda makes me uncomfortable. So Macaroni & Hotdogs it is.

I hoped so very hard all day and while cooking it that this would be just like my mom made it when I was a kid.

And oh my dear goodness. How it was!

Sprinkled with some Copycat Lawry's Seasoned Salt, I was back in my family's 100-year-old house in Bucksport, Maine, around the dinner table with my family.

Check your fridge and pantry. You may already have everything you need (especially you people outside of mainland China, where vegan hotdogs grow on trees).


Macaroni & Hotdogs

Serves 3-4. (Or two, with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.)

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups dry macaroni 
3 or 4 vegan hotdogs, sliced
1 large white onion, chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes
a little oil

Method:
1. Cook the macaroni to desired doneness.
2. In the meantime, fry the onion and hotdogs in a little olive oil until browned.
3. Add the stewed tomatoes, juice and all; heat through and simmer until the macaroni's done.
4. Drain the macaroni. Add the hotdog mixture. Serve.


No comments: