Wednesday, August 03, 2011

DIY Root Job

Buy a bucket of L'Oreal High Performance Quick Blue and some developer lotion. Mix it up. Apply to head with a salon paint brush thingy. Wrap head in plastic wrap. Wait. Rinse. Wash. Go buy yourself something nice for a fraction of the price of going to Hong Kong and paying someone to do all that for you.

Smelly.

I originally bought the Oreor Creme Developer called for on the big tub, but I left it behind in the rental car in Los Angeles. I found the salon-supply street in Hong Kong and bought Goldwell Topchic Developer Lotion (6%, 20 vol.), so I'm using that instead.

I highly recommend you try bleaching your own roots (if this is something you have to do anyway, obviously). If you're nervous, bake some cookies or whip up a few cocktails for a girlfriend (cocktails AFTER she's attacked your head!) and have her do it for you.

I was going to have my husband at least do the back, but I rarely follow through with well-thought-out and reasonable plans. I get an itch and just go for it.

And so far it's worked, so don't expect that to change.

No comments: