Saturday, July 09, 2011

Quick Almond Bread

The man was visibly upset when I told him I'd thrown out the rest of the old dried-out beer bread I made the other day. Honestly, I'd meant to save it and turn it into croutons, but I just forgot, okay?

So I said I'd make more. But we didn't have any crappy cans of beer in the house (I usually use one of the many cheap adjunct lagers China is famous for), so I offered to make a nut bread instead. He accepted.

The heel is gone. I ate it immediately out of the oven.

What follows is an adaptation of the Quick Nut or Date Bread in Joy of Cooking (1975 edition; don't get the new one, please, for the love). It's been veganized and simplified. Go ahead and switch out the nut if you want. I don't care. The recipe won't care. It'll probably be grand.

~

Quick Almond Bread


2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp canola oil
1-1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
3/4 cup raw almonds, finely chopped


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In medium bowl, mix together egg replacer and soy milk. Add oil. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix well. Fold in chopped almonds. Spread evenly in greased loaf pan and bake about 40 minutes.

No comments: