Monday, March 28, 2011

Jack 'n' Coke Birthday Cake

As totally bogus as China can be sometimes, I have no regrets at all about moving here. In fact, I'm glad we did.

I've met people here who have made my life so much more awesome. I get a full-on sad-face when I think about what could happen in 13-ish months when we all have to figure out what's next and where we're all going, which will likely be in quite different directions.

And who will I make Jack 'n' Coke birthday cakes for?

After a trial run of the recipe, then a collapsed cake tower (which I nibbled), then the official birthday cake, I'm all caked out for a while, but you should find a reason to give this bad boy a go!

(Is this wrong? Maybe a just a little bit?
I made it here, if you want to make one, too.)

Jack 'n' Coke Cake
(Recipe modified from PETA's Irish Whiskey Cake.)

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/8 cup vegan margarine, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 1/4 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 3 tbsp water
1/4 cup Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey
1/4 Coca-Cola

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease (and flour, if removing from the pan before serving) a 9-inch round or square baking pan.
 
Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cocoa, and salt. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan margarine and sugars. Add the egg mixture.  In a separate bowl, combine the Jack Daniel's and Coca-Cola. Add the flour mixture and whiskey mixture to the margarine-sugar mixture; mix well.

Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 35-45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.

~

I topped mine with Jack Daniel's-spiked vegan butter cream frosting (vegan margarine, lots of powdered sugar, Jack, and water) and vegan organic sprinkles.

I panicked about having a sinky center, and ended up over-cooking the final cake (after, like I said, I totally killed the first one by stacking it three layers high and watching it crack and fall over), so be careful. Or just chill out. I really shouldda just chilled out.

Anyway...

Sláinte! 干杯! Cheers!

No comments: