Saturday, March 05, 2011

Ginger Red, won't you stay with me in bed!

Honestly, I never saw this blog turning into a vegan recipes blog, but it seems to be headed that way, huh? I think it's because I get really, really excited when I can make something awesome out of the weird ingredients I find in China.

One of China's awesomest weird ingredients is Ginger Red Sugar. Oh my heavens. It's unusually common around here, especially considering that I'd never heard of such a thing before arriving in China. It comes in plain red sugar, too. (What the heck is red sugar? I don't really know. Something to do with Taiwan and red sugar cane, from what I can tell.)

Anyway, this morning I found a recipe for oatmeal muffins, veganized it, and replaced the brown sugar with this ginger red sugar.  Now you get to make some -- if you can find ginger red sugar. If not, switch back to brown sugar. Your muffins will be missing the little ginger kick (though I suppose you could add ginger, but then you'll have brown sugar taste and ginger, and it just won't be the same!).

Ginger Red Muffins

1 1/4 cups instant oatmeal
1 1/4 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 1/2 tsp Ener-G egg replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup packed ginger red sugar (plus more for sprinkling)
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 205°C (400°F).

In a large bowl, combine oats and soy milk and allow to stand for 15 minutes. In the meantime, mix together the "egg", oil, and ginger sugar in a separate bowl. In a third bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the oil/sugar mixture to the oats/milk mixture.  Mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined. (Do not over-mix.)

Fill lined or greased muffin cups 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with more ginger red sugar. Bake big muffins for about 20 minutes (small muffins 10-12 minutes), until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Yields 9 big muffins and 12 little muffins (or 12 big muffins).

If you eat them as soon as they come out the oven, beware of molten chocolate.

They taste even better when you listen to this song. Don't be shy about dancing around the house with a muffin in your hand. Just try not to spill your coffee.


No comments: