Friday, January 28, 2011

Say cheese!

One of my favorite things in the whole wide world (since we moved to China, anyway) is spending untallied amounts of money and exorbitant amounts of time, energy, and creativity throwing little parties for our friends. (Remember Thanksgiving?)

Tomorrow is Vegan Pizza Day in GMT+8, and though my attempts to procure vegan cheeses and sour cream in Hong Kong totally failed (I did get pepperoni, thank goodness), this is still going to be one of the coolest VPD parties on the globe.


I had to make my own vegan cream cheese and sour cream (both recipes here) for Pepperoni Pizza Dip. I was scared to death it would taste like crap, but it's awesome. The cream cheese on its own is a bit tofu-y, but the pizza dip as a whole tastes so much like the real thing, it's a bit freaky. (I did a test run, and we ate the whole small sample in about 45 seconds. I'm tellin' ya: good stuff.)

Note: I added extra lemon juice to the cream cheese to thin it out (since I used a whole block of tofu), and I added extra rice vinegar to the sour cream. If you make it, just do what feels right. I don't think you can really mess it up.

Oh! I almost forgot! I use this recipe for the mozz on top (and for all my other pizza-cheese needs).

When the festivities are over, I'll show you all the other awesome pizza foods I made! But until then...

Happy Vegan Pizza Day!!

No comments: