Thursday, November 25, 2010

The First Thanksgiving

Come, ye thankful people, come, 
raise the song of harvest home.
- Henry Alford, 1844

I just took an apple pie out of the toaster oven that, even if it dies on me now, will have had a good run and made me sufficiently happy (except I still have to cook the Adventist-style vegan loaf for dinner tonight).

A few minutes ago, while I was washing the last load of dishes and putting them into the sanitizer-thingy (to kill the killer bugs in the Chinese tap water), it occurred to me that we, like the first pilgrims to America, have much to be thankful for.

The first Thanksgiving was all about the corn harvest. When that worked -- when they realized that their whole crazy plan was going to work -- they feasted in celebration.

Maybe our Thanksgiving is for the bread, cookies, chili, guacamole, and all of the other tastes of home that have come together since we arrived -- despite the unexpected odds.

Today's feast, with ingredients collected from all over Shenzhen and Hong Kong and recipes passed to me from both my mother and my grandmother (and the Internet), means that we can make this plan work.

Today's feast, and the many hours I spent last night and this morning and afternoon putting it together with my one pot, my one pan, and my one small oven, are a sacrificial gift of Thanksgiving to the three other American pilgrims who will share it with me. We are far from home, we miss the ones we left behind, and it's going to be difficult, but it is going to work!

And I can't think of a better way to spend this American holiday, this Thanksgiving Day, than really meaning it.

2 comments:

Danielle A. said...

Great post and great thoughts, as usual. Thinking of you & Dan and hope you guys have enjoyed/are enjoying your Thanksgiving. ::hugs::

Yarn Miracle said...

You gave me a warm!

And a great build-your-own-loaf site! Thank you!