Monday, November 01, 2010

L'absente

We're in China. China is nuts.

I've missed writing here, but there's so much to say at once that I'm often left speechless. Instead, I've been writing more poetry. It's quicker, more portable.

Yesterday, since I'm unemployed and don't speak the local language enough to do a whole lot (though I've been remarkably adventurous considering), I signed up for NaNoWriMo. I'm 453 words into the 50,000-word project as of this moment. I plan on succeeding.

Today I was writing to Vivaldi and then a Bach tune popped up and distracted me. I went on a YouTube journey (which I do a lot these days) and rediscovered Debussey's "Claire de Lune."

This recording is beautiful.

 

(You should also listen to "L'absente" by Yann Tiersen.)

Music has become very important to me in the last several weeks. Retreating into Rachmaninoff has often been my solace in the craziness. Verbal communication isn't easy when I'm the only English speaker, and everyone else is speaking Mandarin, so often both languages are quite grating by the end of the day.

But violins and pianos will always suffice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you'll learn Mandarin!! What an adventure!!
Auntie Heather

Laura Haven said...

Debussy is one of all time favorite composers to listen to you and play! Music is a peaceful escape from words- a language that everyone can understand!
We are praying for you guys and hope that you are adjusting! Keep blogging! :)