Sunday, August 01, 2010

Granny Picnic Blanket

The giant granny square is done!

(If you click to enbiggen, this makes a pretty fabulous desktop background.
You can use it if you want.)


It all started with this afghan (on Ravelry here) made by a lady in Brussels. I needed it. I needed it bad.

Many months later, I found a yard sale in a nearby neighborhood of Los Angeles. An old lady was clearing out all of her vintage, Los-Angeles-made yarn on account of her debilitating arthritis. I scored a lot of yarn for super cheap (but I didn't even put a dent in her stash).

When I got home and organized it all over the living room floor, I realized I could finally create the afghan I'd been dreaming of!


It's meant to be our picnic blanket, but we've yet to go picnicking. It hasn't even seen any napping action, which is also a shame. At least it looks good draped over things.

For fellow crafty folk, here are the stats:
Pattern: a basic granny square (edging pattern here)
Hook: H (5.0 mm)
Yarn: 7 different colors of vintage acrylic
Ravelry link.

2 comments:

Gail said...

I love the colors that you chose, they look very bright and should make your picnics that much more enjoyable. Happy eating!!

Yarn Miracle said...

Wow. Just wow.

It looks great! Did you time how long the last round took?