Monday, July 12, 2010

Zucchini Nut Loaf a la 1979

I've had this old copy of Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Bread Recipes since I was a teenager living at home. I tried making bagels when I first found it (no idea where I got it), but it was a total flop. (I promise to try again, though, now that I'm a lot smarter at this kind of thing.) I've made the potato bread recipe, too, but that was a raging success.

I've kept it around because 1. the photography is so darn charming, 2. as is the whole book, and 3. I like bread. Plus vintage recipes are usually really, really good.

The Zucchini Nut Loaf is no exception. I could eat a whole one by myself in one sitting with a single cup of tea. I veganized it, of course, and used unbleached all-purpose flour, but I'm sure I only made it better.


Zucchini Nut Loaf
(It's vegan.)

1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini (not a big deal if you have a little more or less; just shred the whole thing and use all of it)
1 1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed well with 2 tbsp water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

In mixing bowl, stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In another mixing bowl, beat together sugar, zucchini, and egg replacer. Add oil and lemon zest; mix well. Stir flour mixture into zucchini mixture. Gently fold in chopped nuts. Turn batter into a greased bread loaf pan. Bake in 350-degree oven for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack. (The original recipe says to cool thoroughly, then wrap and store loaf overnight before slicing. That's completely bogus. Only wait as long as you can stand it, and I don't advise waiting long.) We found it especially delicious smeared with honey peanut butter.

It's super incredibly delicious. The lemon zest is an extra special touch that makes it taste like it came from a high-end bakery. But your kitchen IS a high-end bakery now, so it works.

(Before publishing this, I checked, and YES! You CAN get this book on Amazon! This is your lucky day, I think!)

No comments: