Sunday, August 01, 2010

Cranberry Walnut Orange Bread

I owe you this recipe. It's from way back when I picked a thousand oranges but only needed seven. The recipe came from a very special person I knew in Maine. Sadly, I only communicate with her through Facebook now. But happily, we're at least still communicating! (It's a love/hate relationship I have with with FB. Would love to leave it, but then I'd be leaving behind some good people I'd hate to lose.)

So anyway, this friend came to my rescue and offered her grandmother's recipe for orange bread. It only uses one orange, but it uses the whole orange! I made a few changes (cranberries instead of raisins, vegan egg alternative, that kind of thing), but it's incredibly delicious! I hope you'll try it!


Cranberry Walnut Orange Bread
(makes one vegan loaf)

1 juicy orange
water
dried cranberries
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 tbsp Earth Balance
1-1/2 tsp Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 tbsp water (equivalent of 1 egg)
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Squeeze juice from the orange and add enough water to equal 1 cup. Grind the rind (I used my Magic Bullet) and add enough cranberries to equal 1 cup, then add to juice mixture. Add all remaining ingredients (except nuts); mix well. Fold in chopped nuts. Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake about 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: