Friday, April 23, 2010

Yes I can! And did!

Vicki (friend o' mine) wanted ice cream cake for her birthday. (She's never had one before!) I searched near and far for an ice cream cake without trans fat (I even ignored the fact that I would have to eat eggs -- just for her), but there wasn't a single one in town.

Plan B: Make vegan coconut cupcakes (I love this recipe) and buy nondairy ice cream.

Plan C: NO! If my Vicki wants ice cream cake, she'll have ice cream cake!

With much encouragement from my husband (it was actually his idea for me to undertake this seemingly impossible task), I did it! (I had to go to Trader Joe's and Target first, and ended up giving a stranger a ride to a location a couple miles past my house, and then had tons of cleaning to do, but I did it goshdarnit!)

It turned out those were trick candles. I thought so, but wasn't sure.
I was just glad to find I actually had birthday candles here.
But they were Vicki's first trick candles, too, so it was awesome!

I got out the Betty Crocker Bake'n Fill (only the second time* I've used it since I got it years and years ago, but now proving to be a very valuable asset), and looked at the included recipe book.

Naturally, Betty Crocker is a big fan of her customers buy more Betty Crocker products (two boxes of poisonous cake mix), but there were a few (eggy) recipes for cakes-from-scratch.

I used the Chocolate Mocha Cake with Chocolate Mousse Filling recipe, ignoring the mousse part of the recipe, and replacing the two eggs with Ener-G Egg Replacer. Worked like a charm. I used the tall pan and the base pan. The center was filled with vanilla soy ice cream from Trader Joe's, a layer of Trader Joe's Joe-Joe's chocolate cookies (I save the fillings for something else; keep reading) and then more ice cream.

I'm very glad there's another whole half-cake in the freezer!

And here's where I proved to be an utter genius. My usual method for making frosting is mixing powdered sugar, some kind of nondairy milk, and a bit of Earth Balance for creaminess. I had 12 little circles of fatty vanilla-flavored stuffing right in front of me! Surely those can be the fat in the frosting, right?

Oh, yes. Yes, they can. The frosting was so creamy and delicious (and speckled with real vanilla speckles!), and the perfect match for this super yummy cake.

And the birthday girl? Quite pleased with her first-ever ice cream cake, I'm very happy to say.


*Some may remember our first-ever knitting party? I made chocolate cake and stuffed it with chocolate pudding. Sorry about feeding you poison. We didn't know any better back then.

No comments: