Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Roasted Tomato Soup

I made roasted tomato soup for lunch today. I was inspired by a recipe I found online, but I changed it quite a bit, and mine is way better and easier. It's also:
  • vegan
  • fat-free
  • redonkulously delicious
You can do all the roasting and blending ahead of time and heat it up when you're ready to eat it. (Think: make it the night before if you have a job, then heat it up at work.)

Roasted Tomato Soup
(Serves 2 with small bowls of soup and a sammy.
Or eat it all by yourself in one big bowl. Recipe is easily doubled.)

1 lb (4 or 5) Roma tomatoes
3 cloves roasted garlic
1 cup water
fresh basil
salt + pepper
balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut tomatoes in half and place cut-side-up on foil-lined baking sheet (makes clean-up easier). Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. You can put a head of garlic (wrapped in foil) on here, too, if you don't already have roasted garlic kicking around. (I keep mashed roasted garlic in the fridge now because I'm addicted. I even had it on a toasted English muffin with cream cheese this morning.) Bake for 1 hour.

Allow tomatoes to cool a bit so you don't hurt yourself. Place tomatoes, garlic, water, and basil (I used about 5 leaves) in blender (I use my good ol' Magic Bullet). Blend to smithereens. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Heat (or not; it was good cool, too) and add a splash of balsamic vinegar (about a teaspoon) before serving.

(But what's that sammy, you ask? Trader Joe's sprouted barley bread, cheddar Teese, Penzey's garlic salt, and Penzey's pasta sprinkle, made all melty and toasty on my little grill thingy).

No comments: