Sunday, April 18, 2010

Here in the States you call it a sausage in the mouth.

(Arrested Development. Watch it.)

A new bar opened in Burbank last week, and we've already been there twice.

And now I'm not really sure how to continue. Dan and I discussed last night how no one can really understand how perfect this place is for us. To boil down the list of qualities that make Tony's Darts Away our new favorite place in the whole wide world, I'll say this: They have VEGAN sausages (!!!) and their beer list is divided into IPAs and not-IPAs. I don't know if you know me well enough to understand how important these things are (hint: we're total hop-heads). Also, their bar is sustainable, only serving California beer and wine, and all beers are on tap, meaning they create no waste. You must be at least familiar enough with my hippy tendencies to know how cool that is.

The first night (Wednesday), I had vegan kielbasa with onions, peppers, Vegenaise, and Dijon mustard.


Dan had vegan smoked apple sage sausage with onion, vegan cheddar, and Dijon.


We shared homemade chips with Cajun seasoning.


When we went back Friday night, we shared the apple sage again (they had run out of the vegan beer brat we wanted) with vegan cheddar, onions, garlic paste, and brown mustard.


And we shared sweet potato fries with maple-chipotle glaze and toffee almonds (also vegan).


Tony's has us thinking about sausage even more than the greasiest competitive eater in training for his next big show.

I want to go back right now. If we lived closer to Burbank, I think we would.

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Maybe it's a good thing you don't live THAT close- damn that looks good, honestly I wondered why you had meat items on your blog.

I don't know what to do with the mustard, but down south when they are baby plants the leaves are picked + they are part of what is known simply as "greens" which, if you know anything about southern cooking means that if you can't batter it in cornmeal + fry it, you boil the crap out of it with some fat back. I picked some + had it with balsamic vinegar + it was good, not top of my list. I like to roast the turnips with other root veggies + garlic, olive oil + balsamic vinegar.