Sunday, April 11, 2010

Goings-on

First, the crochet.

I've been wanting a blanket like this one (it's a Ravelry link; sorry nonmembers) since I faved it in January. Just last week I remembered it again and thought about buying the yarn I need to make an equally gorgeous giant granny. Then, this morning, while I was thinking about how I'm on a self-inflicted six-month yard diet (unless there pops up a deal so amazing it would be dumb not to partake), I remembered I was supposed to be at a yard sale 45 minutes ago! A yard sale advertised as having "YARN YARN YARN CROCHET THREAD by the truck full." Of course I was going to be there.

So it wasn't the truck full I had imagined, but there was an old woman selling off her yarn on account of the arthritis that keeps her from knitting it. I bought 36 skeins for 50 cents each, and carried it all home in a big black bag. Dan's eyebrows confessed he should have come with me, but he was a good percentage as impressed with me as I was when I said it only cost eighteen dollars. Most of it is some kind of vintage Los Angeles-made worsted acrylic I've never heard of, but that just makes it all the more charming.

Holy cow that picture came out fabulous!
I had doubts about the colors when I looked at it on my camera.

Now I'm well on my way to having a huge granny square blanket meant especially for picnics. I'm going to try it out at the beach, but I think the little holes will let in just enough sand to be pesky. (I think a beach quilt is in order if so.)

And now the cooking.

Pretty much out of nowhere (or I could have forgotten why by now) I HAD to made spritz cookies last week. I've never made vegan ones, but this recipe turned out to be completely freaking awesome. I used a 21-year-old single malt Scotch instead of vanilla, just because I'm awesome/crazy like that.

When I saw the camel plate, I knew that was the only way to go.

I've never really had much luck with a cookie press. But this one, oh! It works like a charm! Maybe it has something to do with it being about 30 years old and probably never used before now. (I think I rescued it from being thrown away or donated one of the last times I was home before moving to L.A.) My anti-cheap-Chinese-crap sentiment also makes me think the proud little MADE IN USA logo might have something to do with it, too. I like the huge barrel (very good for getting all the dough in and pressing out the air bubbles), and the twisting mechanism (vastly superior to actually pressing out dough) made for dozens of perfect little camels!

They're so, so delicious -- much tastier than real camels, I bet.

This morning I made ranchero-style tofu scramble for breakfast, and we ate it on the patio.

Dan got me that owl mug for Christmas.
Everything tastes better in it or around it because it's so darn cute.


And then for lunch, like I actually needed to be even more amazing in the kitchen, I made vegetable maki. It was go time for a couple of avocados, so half the rolls were soloing the aguacate. No regrets, obviously, because that's pretty much my favorite anyway.

How am I supposed to top those two meals for dinner??

And lastly, the Keillor. Because he's so cute.


Our buddy Alex moved out of our spare bedroom a couple weekends ago and caught a plane to China. He works there now. Spare Oom is now back to its old self, and just dying for visitors. Keillor was caught napping on some unfinished projects I'd tossed on the futon in the great reorganization process.

We also cleaned off the patio, put all the bikes in a better place, and (obviously) have started dining out there whenever possible.

I have since thrown away the dead thing. I think it was basil.
Better luck to the basil in the foreground.


Keillor is learning "stay" but one of us ends up leaping over the fence to catch him every few visits to the patio. His attention span is close to nil.

And that's about it. Life in general is awesome right now, and we're feeling more and more blessed every day!

Now, back to crocheting -- and figuring out what's for dinner!

3 comments:

Amber, theAmberShow said...

You should put a War Drobe in the Spare Oom.

I like the camel cookies very much. You can press a whole lot of animal shapes and make your own animal crackers.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Totally unrelated to this post, but responding to your comment: my parents live in Chatsworth so when I go back home (grew up in Topanga/ Woodland Hills, moved to the Nashville area 11 yrs ago from Hermosa) I'll have to check out Woodlands. I generally make a bee line for Follow Your Heart in CP.

camilla said...

Hey

I wanted to follow your blog, how can I do that?