Thursday, April 22, 2010

Birthday Socks

These socks are very, very near the top of my favorites list. They're gorgeous, for one thing. And they're shockingly simple for such a fun lacy pattern: 24 lines total (but every other round is knit, and there are only two other different lines in the pattern).

I made them for my friend's birthday. I'm quite certain that she loves them (and who wouldn't?!). Now that I've given them away, I can tell you all about them. (Believe me, I thought about keeping them. But whenever I talk all tough like that you can be sure I'll never follow through. I'm just not mean enough.)


Pattern: Spring Forward by Linda Welch (from Knitty, Summer 2008)
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Kettle Dyed Sock in Spruce
Needles: US 1 / 2.25 mm (5 bamboo DPNs)

I found KelpKnit's super gorgeous Spring Forward socks on Flickr, followed them to her blog post about them, and copied her mirrored-sock technique. While I was finishing the first sock, I realized that to mirror them, one would technically start on row 13 of the pattern instead of 1 (she mentioned she started on row 12). What an absolutely fabulous idea! The mirrored sock takes the pair from great to perfect. I'm super glad I did it. Keeping track of where I was in the pattern wasn't even difficult (it may have actually been easier because it changed the way I tallied the lines in groups of 12 instead of 24).

This Knit Picks Stroll yarn is gorgeous, too. It knits like a dream, and it's completely machine wash- and dry-able (always good for gift-giving). I have a lot left over, too. I definitely need this stuff on my feet (though I still have a whole hank of Eggplant to myself). I'll resist the urge to make an identical pair, but I will be knitting this pattern again in the future.

No comments: