Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Vegan Raisin Bran Muffins

It has become very clear to me in the last few months that Christians (one of the broader-termed groups of people I count myself among) cannot in good conscience eat factory-farmed eggs.* (If you have your own egg-laying hen, go for it!) I stopped using eggs at home years ago, but since this conviction, I've stopped eating them entirely (and I was quite the omelette fan, believe you me).

So I know very well by now that ya just don't need eggs for any good reason, anyway. And then something like this happens and I get all excited about how right I really am!

I give you...

Raisin bran muffins!


I used the Kellogg's recipe, but don't do that. Use this one instead:

Way Better (Vegan!) Raisin Bran Muffins
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg's worth Ener-G egg replacer (1 1/2 tsp replacer mixed with 2 tbsp water)
1 cup raisin bran (use a brand without high fructose corn syrup)
1/2 cup non-dairy milk soured with 1 tsp lemon juice (I used a low-calorie almond milk)
1/2 jam (original recipe calls for strawberry jam; I used blueberry fruit spread)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix the dry ingredients (the first 5 above) and set aside. Mix well the sugar and apple sauce. Add the "egg" and mix well. Mix in the cereal. Alternate the dry ingredients with the milk, blending well after each addition. Fold in the jam. Divide batter evenly in 12 paper-lined muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes. (Poke with a toothpick just to make sure they're done.)

Each muffin, depending on the specific brands you use, is about 110 calories! That's 70 calories below Kellogg's recipe -- per muffin! -- and you're skipping out on all the other disgusting things in HFCS, eggs, and dairy!

UPDATE: There's no fat in these babies, so they've proven twice to stick to the papers, and they just won't let go! I'd skip the papers next time (just lightly grease the tin or we'll probably have a way bigger problem).


*I'm not going into detail, but if you're interested in exploring this, I recommend starting at Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. This is the best book I've read on the truth about the foods we eat (and why we eat them).

2 comments:

Cathleen said...

Great recipe, thanks for sharing! I used Nature's Path Organic Flax Raisin Bran & apricot preserves (didn't have strawberry or blueberry). One question - did yours stick to the paper muffin cups a lot? Mine did. Wondering if I should ditch the paper cups altogether next time.

Kimberly Pye said...

Yes, indeed, they did. I'm going to update this post right now...