Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vegan Corn Chowder

My father-in-law gave my mom his recipe for "Corn Chowdah" to add to the recipe book she made for my bridal shower. (All the ladies who came gave me one or two of their favorite recipes to be added to a small photo album. My grandmother even gave me some recipes in my great-grandmother's handwriting!)

I don't think I've ever followed his recipe exactly, and now that I never use cow milk in my house, the recipe has changed significantly -- almost beyond recognition.

For all my vegan or fat-watching buddies out there, here's my corn chowder recipe! Enjoy!


Vegan Corn Chowder


4 large russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 15-ish-ounce can cream-style corn (you know, a regular can)
1 15-ish-ounce can regular corn (I used extra crisp whole kernel.)
2 cups original soy milk (You could use fat-free, but I already cut out a bunch of fat for you, believe me!)
2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
salt & pepper

Cover potatoes and onion with water in large pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes (until potatoes are tender). Drain off most of the water, leaving just a little (potatoes and onion will not be covered). Add corn, milk, thyme, and garlic. Add plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Heat through and serve.

(Note: You can use two cans of cream-style corn or two cans of regular corn instead. You could even add frozen corn. It doesn't really matter. I usually make this early in the day so it can sit for a long time, then heat it up again right before dinner. And really don't be shy with the salt and pepper.)

We like crushed saltines in our chowder. I also indulge in the occasional peanut butter sandwich with mine.

What do you eat with your corn chowder?

1 comment:

craftygal86 said...

yum! Thanks for sharing =D