Saturday, February 13, 2010

Friday Peeves #5

Love Sucks
(brought to you by Earplugs*)


Valentine's Day is on Sunday, and that means blogland will soon be full of whiny cranks spouting off their well-rehearsed opinions about why the day sucks and why he or she won't be participating in traditional Valentine's Day festivities, such as candy-giving and rose-sniffing. Instead, he or she will do some other boycott-y type thing, which doesn't seem like that much of a boycott to me if he or she is spending time with someone he or she loves -- even if that person is him- or herself.

Dan and I are going to Paso Robles on Saturday morning, then making our way back down through San Luis Obispo, Buellton, and Santa Barbara on Sunday. It's going to be a very special Valentine's Weekend, but we would have gone anyway. We don't make a big deal out of the holiday, but we allow ourselves to have fun with it. Like any other stupid gift-giving holiday (yes, including Christmas), Valentine's Day has morphed into something quite different from the original intention, so why not lighten up a bit?

No one bellyaches about how stupid Easter is and how they just refuse to buy a single Cadbury Creme Egg and everyone who goes to church and eats a ham is a sappy loser.** So why Valentine's Day?

People. How about this year you all get off your high Valentine's-Day-hating horse and buy a Hershey bar. Give it to your lover or eat it yourself. But for goodness' sake, show a little love, would ya?!

* Image by flickr user quinn.anya.
** I don't eat Cadbury Creme Eggs or ham, but for a very different reason.

3 comments:

Danielle A. said...

As* a former Valentine's-Bitter-ite... I would like to say that I do enjoy the fun little tradition that Steve and I have. I'm not as bitter as I used to be (in general, not just with V-Day)... but I think next year I'm going to celebrate by spreading general love to everyone. :)

Enjoy your weekend away!

*I originally typoed and said "Has". Fail.

David Romero Osses said...

I hate Valentine's day lol
Anyways I enjoyed taking a look at your blog.
New follower here :)
Take care

David Romero Osses said...

Yeah, "Googlear" is a new verb :) accepted by the "Real Academia Española" (Spanish Real Academy), it means to use google hahah look for something and such...