Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sayin' It Proud

Maybe it's just me, but there's some anxiety involved in deciding to call myself something I want to be but don't know if I've really achieved that level of seriousness to declare it.

Like "runner" for example. Does running barefoot 3 to 5 miles a week actually make me a runner? 'Cause I know a few "runners," and they're quite a bit more intense than that.

I used to fear socks -- all those tiny needles, tiny yarn, and having to do it all over again before there's a useful pair of matching socks to wear. I might even say I'm overdue in declaring this, but when you realize you've finished 4 pairs of socks in one month, and your sock yarn stash is growing faster than you can knit it but it's not because you don't knit a piece of sock every day, you learn something about yourself -- I am a sock knitter!


I bought a teeny tiny sock blocker key chain a few weeks ago. It started out as a cute little thingy to knit socks for and use up scraps from person-socks, but now I think of it as a symbol of my membership in a club I never thought I'd be a part of.

(And for the time being, I'm not quite ready to call myself a "runner.")

3 comments:

emily said...

Welcome to the sock knitter club! (Although I think my membership is up for review since I've only knit half a pair this year.)

PS You're more of a runner than I'll ever be!

Kate and Oli said...

thanks so much for your comment! and good luck in the giveaway :)

i'm new to swap-bot, so it's really exciting that you found my blog through that. i love all these little connections!!

:) katie

Salihan said...

Congrats on being a sock knitter! I'm not sure I'm the club yet though. But I suspect it won't be long before I am. :) -me@salihan.com