Saturday, January 16, 2010

Friday Peeves #1

For my first attempt to correct all the very wrong things that drive me nuts:

Things We Share
(brought to you by Our Christmas Trip to Maine)

This is Dan's favorite bagel place:
Bagel Central is Dan's favorite bagel place.

It's also my favorite bagel place:
Bagel Central is my favorite bagel place.

Dan and I have the same favorite bagel place. We also have the same favorite bagel: the sunflower bagel.
Bagel Central is Dan's and my favorite bagel place.
Dan's and my favorite bagel is the sunflower bagel.


For the mathy folk:
Dan's favorite bagel is the sunflower bagel.
+
My favorite bagel is the sunflower bagel.
=
Dan's and my favorite bagel is the sunflower bagel.

All of the following are completely wrong and grating to the ear:
Dan and my's favorite bagel...
(This is close, but no.)

Dan and I's favorite bagel...
(I know we're talking about Dan and I, but it's not I's favorite bagel.)

Dan and me's favorite bagel...
(Give me a break.)

...or any combination of the above.

For more on compound possessives, see Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips Episode 75.

3 comments:

Danielle A. said...

Add one more sentence to the equation: "Dan is my husband". Then you can just say "Our favorite bagel place is Bagel Central". Maybe?

Kimberly Pye said...

That's correct. But compound possessives are the issue here.

Steve Athanas said...

Whatever. I just want Bagel Central. :-)