Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fall Activities

Autumn in California is significantly different from the autumn I'm used to. We even failed at an apple-picking attempt after a local near Red Rock Canyon raised an eyebrow and said, "Pick your OWN??"

We arrived in Los Angeles a year ago this December, and by then we were enough into the dead of winter that it actually seemed a bit fall-ish. But the actual fall? Not so much.

There was a cool spell a while back that called for the use of our down comforter, but we're back to just a sheet now. The Santa Ana winds are picking up, but they're not doing much to keep us cool.

So we fake it.

I've decked out the inside of the apartment with fall-scented candles and other Halloween (and soon I'll switch to Thanksgiving) decor. And with the air conditioning on, I can even eat maple cookies and knit mittens for friends.


I don't dislike it. It's just different.

3 comments:

Dan said...

Strangely, fall isn't feeling so different for me. It's a big enough contrast from L.A. summer that it just feels like fall. It's nice.

Larry Sawyer said...

This is probably my biggest reservation about moving to a warmer location (which I really want to do, especially when winter rolls around each year). I just love fall and everything that comes with it. I'd miss it.

Anne said...

Hey there! You won my apron giveaway! :) Congratulations! Please e-mail me with your address (link in my blog sidebar), and I'll make sure you get it :)

take care,
Anne