Friday, February 27, 2009

Yarn TtV

Inspired by Hey Harriet's Gluttonous Gulls post, I tried TtV (Through the Viewfinder) photography for the first time the other day. I used our Sony Cyber-shot digital camera to take a picture through the viewfinder of my dad's old Canon AE-1. (I love that camera, but it spends 99.9% of its time on my desk, staring at me, begging to be filled with real film and pointed at things.)

I propped the camera up on a tower made of a box of cat litter and a milk crate and took a few pictures of my yarn shelf.

I think this one is my favorite. (And this one is totally unedited! Talk about lucky!)


I also like this one because you can see the little number thingies on the side.


All the pictures came out pretty well, I think (or maybe I just like looking at yarn too much). I cropped them all to be 5x7 so there wasn't tons of black space all around the important part (the yarn, of course). I like how they're so smoky and soft. (The rest are in my Yarn TtV flickr set.)

They lack the charm Hey Harriet's scratchy seagulls have, but I very much like them.

(Those fabulous gulls are for sale in her Etsy shop if you want them. Or you can buy me #4. Wink. Wink.)

Edit: Dan bought me the third one! Now you don't have to buy me one, but you should still buy one for yourself!

1 comment:

Hey Harriet said...

Hey cool! I love the soft dreamy look of these. Perfectly suits the yarn! Great to see you TtV-ing. It's fun! I really like mixing the old technology with the new. It's not quite the same as shooting film through the old cameras, but it's the next best thing. And way less expensive! As much as I love film, it's a little too costly now to use it all the time :(

Thanks heaps for the lovely mention and plug! You rock! :D