Tuesday, October 28, 2008

All-natural Vegan Candy Corn

Candy corn is my favorite thing about Halloween, but I've completely stopped eating it because it's full of artificial flavors and colors, and the other shapes have trans fat. After a couple years of working up the courage to try it, I finally made vegan candy corn last night.


In order to keep it all-natural, I invested in vegetable-based food dyes from India Tree. (one bottle each of red, blue, and yellow was about $19 at Whole Foods). It seemed like I was using a lot, but the bottles are barely depleted. It was an excellent investment to know I can still have fun-colored food without poisoning myself or my friends and family.

When the dough had cooled a bit, it was hard to mold, and making little candy corns was taking way too long, so I made the rest of the orange dough into pumpkins. I also experimented with some other shapes and color combinations:


At the end of the evening, I bagged up a pumpkin and five candy corns for each of my immediate coworkers. The rest of the treats are in the kitchen. I suspect they'll be gone by lunchtime.


It was a ton of work, but totally worth it. I swore I wouldn't do it again, but I'm almost positive I'll have forgotten the pains by next year.

And even after all the sampling I did while I was molding the candy, the WiiFit said I was down 1.5 pounds this morning. Just 1/10 of a BMI point to go, and I won't be overweight anymore!

3 comments:

Danielle A. said...

How fun!!! Looks soooo yummy. Jealous of those who get to eat it. :)

Kimberly Pye said...

I saved you a little baggie.

It's okay if you hate it. I kinda do. At first I thought it was good, but now I think the powdered coconut milk I used (instead of powdered soy milk) makes it taste weird.

Dan likes it, though.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Aww, I'm glad you made it & had success!