Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Veggie Sammies

I made a few new vegetarian sandwiches this weekend.

For lunch on Saturday I made curried mango tofu and cheddar sandwiches on wheat bread with this sauce from Stonewall Kitchen. I should have taken a picture at least for the sake of sentimentality. Dan loved it so much he wanted me to make them for lunch on Monday. Unfortunately, we didn't get back home early enough Sunday night for me to cook the tofu. We'll have them tomorrow, though!

For dinner I made meatless meatball (I call them "neatballs") burgers with Havarti cheese. I heated up the neatballs in vodka sauce, then melted the cheese under the broiler. We had a side salad of spinach, goat cheese, walnuts, raisins, and balsamic vinaigrette. Both were spectacular.


On Sunday, we picnicked at Kimball Farms. I brought us buffalo tofu sandwiches with goat cheese and spinach. I made the tofu in the same way (but in thinner and narrower strips) I made the buffalo-fu burgers, but the creamy goat cheese and crisp spinach really kicked it up a couple notches, I think.


Tofu is so darn versatile, it's ridiculous. The flavor is so mild and neutral that you can cover it with just about anything and eat it with rice or put it in a sandwich. If you'd consider putting it on chicken, you can put it on tofu (and you miss out on a bunch of fat, cholesterol, carcinogens, and bad energy!) -- just be sure to press some of the water out of the tofu to make room for whatever you want it to absorb (like Curried Mango Grille Sauce or Frank's RedHot).

BTW: I read that 461 of the 711 KFCs (or PFKs) in Canada are going to offer vegan chicken as part of a deal KFC Canada made with PETA. Woohoo! It's probably full of other creepy things like the rest of the food (but not creepy meat!), and it's hard telling if they're cooking it separate from the actual meat, but it's a fine step in the right direction!

No comments: