Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Raw Fast: Day 2 and Overview

What I ate the second day:

25 grapes
raisins and raw almonds, cashews, and pecans
"strawberry pomegranate sunshine" fruit leather
spinach salad with green peppers and tomatoes
same dressing as before
"pineapple coconut paradise" fruit leather
3 carrots
1 banana
another delicious dinner (see below)
grapes and almonds

For dinner last night we had this:


I made mashed potatoes with garlic, white onion, olive oil, and a little water; a chilled salad made of tomatoes, green peppers, Spanish onion, olive oil, lime juice, and black pepper; a dessert salad of almonds, apples, raisins, and bananas; and lemonade.

I think I could eat that chunky pico-de-gallo-type stuff every day. And mashed potatoes with almost no fat? Yes, please.

Yesterday was a bit easier with the large serving of nuts. That kept me satisfied through the morning and lunchtime. By the time we'd had dinner, gone for a short walk, and chilled on the couch for a while, though, we were starving. We didn't want to have edamame again, so we ended up having more grapes and almonds. I think the hardest part about this is missing a salty night-time snack. If we can get the dehydrator from my house in Maine, we'll be all set.

Overall, this was a very happy experiment, and I learned some good lessons:

1. There's nothing in the raw/living world quite as crunchy and salty as chips, crackers, and popcorn. Almonds are good, but not the same.

2. If I'm going to blindly reach for food at the first sign of hunger or just because I feel like eating, it should be something raw. I learned this lesson yesterday when I got home, saw the biscuits, and almost just reached for one because I was hungry for dinner, and it was there. I'm going to try very hard to practice this.

3. With a little creativity, a bowl of vegetables can be very tasty!

Overall, I feel brighter, lighter, and better. I broke my fast this morning with soy yogurt, but all the additional food I brought today (aside from my meatless balogna sandwich with spinach and organic spicy brown mustard on light wheat bread) is raw.

I'm going to increase the amount of raw food I consume throughout the day, and decrease the amount of processed granola bars, salty snacks, and other really delicious (but nutritiously deficient) food I usually eat. The long-term plan, as we've semi-officially stated it, is to do a raw fast two days a week. (As long as Dan promises to make some of the dinners!)

Tonight we're attending a good-bye dinner at On The Border. I've scoped out the menu for vegetarian options, and tonight Dan and I will have quite a cooked feast!

No comments: