Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reading Rainbow

At the library on Saturday I got The Gum Thief by Douglas Coupland. It's the best book I've read in a very, very long time. I'll probably finish it today. That's also the fastest I've ever read a book. But I'll save the real book review for later, when I've actually read the whole thing.

The only thing stopping me from finishing it during my lunch break is another book my boss told me about yesterday and brought in for me to read this morning. Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman (former agent for Ford Models) and Kim Barnouin (former model and holder of a Masters of Science degree in Holistic Medicine) is about all the dangerous crap we eat and how it makes us fat. I've only read one chapter, and I'm ready to turn my life around. It's so witty, sarcastic, readable, and convincing that everyone should read it (and then do what it says)!

Here's a free snippet: "When methyl alcohol, a component of aspartame, enters your body, it turns into formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is toxic and carcinogenic (cancer-causing). Laboratory scientists use formaldehyde as a disinfectant or preservative. They don't f---ing drink it," (p 14).

It's funny reading this book and knowing people all around me trying to lose weight with stupid fad diets. I'm embarrassed for them, but now I have science to back me up.

In other book news, I took Don Quixote off my list of books I'm reading (to the right). Why kid myself? If I'm going to read, it should be a book that makes me like reading.

Oh, about that: this Douglas Coupland book has even made me go so far as to say, when I can't read (like when we're watching movies), "Fine...I'll just crochet..." That's how good it is. My yarn has been, and probably will continue to be, seriously neglected.

But don't take my word for it.

1 comment:

Danielle A. said...

I've never actually taken that book seriously because I thought it was a cheesy girly fiction book... but... now I think I might have to read it also. :)