Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Buffalo-fu & Quilt Squares

The original plan involved all of us at work going to Bedford, NH after work yesterday to see Meghan's new babe, but at the very last minute she had to cancel 'cause it got jaundice and she had to take it to the hospital.

So I had an evening at home I hadn't planned on! I made dinner, washed some fabric for quilting, and went to Kimball's. (White chocolate almond. It was good, but I won't get it again.)

First, dinner: I made buffalo tofu burgers with onions, garlic, and tomatoes (with a side of asparagus -- the French fries of the plant kingdom).

(Alright, fine. I guess this picture looks a little grosser than I thought when I took it.)

Notice the texture of the tofu. It's sort of like the most tender chicken you can imagine, and the taste really isn't all that far from being chicken-y.

Here's how you make 'em:

Kimberly's Buffalo-fu Burgers
Ingredients:
Extra firm tofu
Frank's RedHot
EVOO
garlic
onion
parmesan cheese
tomato
bread of choice (I used potato buns.)

Slice up the tofu into about 1/2-inch thickness. Wrap slices in a towel and press down. Flip the tofu and press again till all the wetness on the outside is gone. Don't be afraid to press really hard. The 'fu can take it. Put the tofu on a plate and cover one side with Frank's. Get your skillet/frying pan/whatever heated up. Add a little itty bitty bit of EVOO, just enough to lube up the pan. Chop up your garlic and onions and get 'em cookin' (they need a little longer than the tofu). Add the tofu when the onions start to get a little see-though, Frank's-side-down. Put more Frank's on the naked side. Cook both sides till it's nice and tan. Add some parmesan cheese to the top to let it start melting. Set the table. Put it all together. (You know how to make a sandwich.) Enjoy!

(I set out extra condiments, but neither of us used them. They were fabulous as-is!)

And now on to something else -- the quilt squares: I've been reading a lot about postage stamp quilts on Craftster. So I figured, since I have plenty of fabric kicking around, I would use some of it up on a quilt. I'm doing a swap with a lady who is making one out of 1.5-inch squares. This seemed a bit small, so I decided I would make mine out of 2-inch squares. Yesterday I washed all my fabric, ironed some of it, and started cutting.

Do you have any clue how freaking small 1.5 inches is??!! I seriously emailed the lady to make sure I hadn't misread "1.5." I hadn't. Her quilt will be unbelievably gorgeous, but I just don't think I could do it.

I've started a quilt of 3-inch squares instead (which is still really small!).

I picked up all my yarn yesterday and cleared a space on the coffee table for my cutting board. It turns out cutting up squares of fabric is a pleasant change of pace from having skeins and scraps of yarn all over the place. Don't get me wrong; I'm not giving up my love for knitting and crocheting -- no way! I'm just embarking on another, probably equally addicting, adventure.

So if you've got some fabric, send me some pre-washed 3-inch squares! I'll take any and all I can get! (I'll also send you some squares in your desired size. I picked up some pretty fabulous fat quarters last weekend.)

No comments: