Thursday, February 28, 2008

Please don't stop the music!

That's just the kind of title you get when crAzy hip-hop songs get stuck in my head.

By the way, I'm sore. Very sore. I can identify several very special muscle groups now, muscle groups I totally took for granted until now. They've all been hurt individually in the past, but when combined, they form Super Pain and plan to take over the world. (Or at least my body and my ability to function as a normal human being.) But it was worth it.

This just in: last night I had a dream my temporary filling fell out and my nerve was exposed and it started bleeding and I sealed up my tooth with a big wad of the clear gummy stuff the orthodontist gives patients to cover up particularly pokey parts of braces.

But what I really wanted to say is this:

When I woke up this morning, the first thing I though of when I saw all the snow that I totally didn't know was coming was this quote from (just realized this trend is getting ridiculous) John Steinbeck:

"I've lived in good climate, and it bores the hell out of me. I like weather rather than climate."

That's an excellent point, John, and I agree with you totally. I've paid almost no attention to weather forecasts this season, and it has been a wonderful adventure. I don't know what's going to happen, everything's a surprise, and I can enjoy whatever comes my way.

I think it's pretty darn stupid when New Englanders complain about the weather. It seems like it's always the people who have been here the longest. (But that's no excuse - I've been here 23 years, and you don't hear me complaining.) If you hate the weather, leave! Every winter you know it's coming, so get over it! Stop being grumpy! Sheesh!

And this brings up the issue of moving to Los Angeles. If I love weather so much, why the heck would I want to move there? Well, if you think of earthquakes as an adequate replacement for snowstorms, I'm super excited about the adventure of it all! And since we won't be there long-term, it's like a little weather change in my life (not a permanent climate change).

(By the way, is it totally insane that I'm looking forward to my first earthquake? Or is it just the same part of me that loves being stuck in second gear in a massive snow storm?)

1 comment:

Danielle A. said...

Man. I miss dancing. I wish my gym offered classes like that. Such luck does not exist.

Oh well.

And as a New Englander complainer, I have a different perspective. I can appreciate the beauty of the snow. I loved it when I was a kid. I started to hate it when I had to drive in it - at least anything that makes driving hairy anyways. If I get to stay home and enjoy the snowstorm with some hot chocolate and a movie - s'not so bad. :)