Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Yarn Bender

In what much resembled a weekend-long yarn bender, I managed to accomplish a whole lot of knitting.

I woke up with a yarn hangover on Sunday morning after I stayed up till after 1:00 am to finish my Anthropologie-Inspired Capelet (free pattern here). I'll be wearing it over a black dress for the Captain's Dinner on our cruise to the Bahamas in March.

I also finished the last of Sheldon and sewed him all up. He comes out of his shell to reveal the cutest little naked-turtle body you've ever seen. (Free Sheldon pattern here.) No one tells you that it's super tough to put him back inside his shell once he escapes, but it's winter now, so he's fine in there at least till April or May.

On Sunday morning, in what was like a yarn mimosa after all that yarning the night before, I started and finished a crocheted loofa. It's the worst bath tool ever. It doesn't allow for any soap lather, and it weighs about 20 pounds when it's wet. It seems like a good idea, but it's not. (If you want the pattern anyway, it's free here.)

On Monday afternoon, once Sheldon was all put together and enjoying his new life at the Pye Place, I started these mittens I used to be deathly afraid of. They are, after all, not even scary in the slightest bit. It's the first time I'm worked directly from a knitting chart, and it's super fun! (Free pattern in Finnish and English here). I got two hanks of this Novia Scotia wool from the $3 bin at Hub Mills Factory Store in Lowell when I went there a while ago. I didn't know what it would be until yesterday, but this is just the perfect thing!

I got a call from my mother yesterday. I told her I was trying to figure out this knitting pattern (there's a symbol on the chart that's not in the key), and she said my grandmother is "awful worried" I'm spending too much time with this. She (Grammy) knows she can let it take up a lot of her time if she's not careful, and she wants to make sure I don't do that.

I laughed and said I do do that. Any extra free time I can spend playing with yarn, I do. But I also work forty hours a week, so it's nearly impossible (as hard as I try) to spend unhealthy amounts of time with my hooks and needles. Not that "unhealthy" is very possible. Imagine telling Beethoven he was spending too much time at the piano. I'm not calling myself the Beethoven of Yarncraft, but I am saying I'm just about as passionate about it as he was about music. Any time not spent with yarn and tool in hand (besides the time spent keeping a house, a husband, and pets) is time wasted not mastering the art God gave me (or "gifted" me - ha! I hate that word!).

1 comment:

Danielle A. said...

The sweater is awesome, Sheldon is super cute, and I can't wait to see your finished mittens!!!