Thursday, January 24, 2008

These are a few of my favorite things.

The morning Kimber Daily News has arrived!


After reading a comment on my last post, I started thinking about how much I really do love the writing of John Steinbeck. And who else? I thought. I came up with my three all-time favorite authors, who all happen to be in a different genre: Steinbeck, Shakespeare, and Whitman. I think I'd be just fine if I were trapped in a universe where the complete works of these three were all that one could read.

Once again, I updated the gadget to find confirmation of my thought train:


Is Google spying on me again? Is Whitman spying on me?

So yep, I went to the gym last night at about 7:30 and got home at 8:30. This morning we got up at 6:00 and went again. We were back home and I was showered before I usually wake up on any other given day. I feel stellar.

(Have I mentioned that I've lost about 5 pounds since I've started weighing myself? I've lost more inches than 5 pounds usually causes, but because I've been weight-training as well, I'm replacing a lot of fat with heavier muscle. Last night I tried on my newest bathing suit, and it was too big! Anybody want a practically brand new Calvin Klein two-piece?)

And on to the socks.

I casted on for the Jaywalker Socks (free pattern here), designed by a Bostonian inspired by the zig-zaggy path of a jaywalker in the crowded streets. I love them. And I think I'm addicted to socks. I'm also addicted to this yarn. (I'm striping Classic Elite Flash in print and solid.) It can be slightly splitty, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

(Notice that I was too darn excited even to wind up the hank into a ball. It's a careful process of unwinding as I go and trying not to get it all tangled.)

I realized I'll never be able to make two socks with the three 93-yard hanks I have, so I'm going back to Hub Mills on Saturday to get the other, lighter green plied in the print. I'll probably pick up another hank of the print as well and use it for the heel and toe. I told Dan he doesn't have to be scared of going into the store with me because I am not looking around; I'm buying yarn for these socks, and that's it!

This is also the first time I've used five needles at once, and ohbabyohbaby it's so much more luxurious than using only four. Too bad all my sets came in 4s. I think I'll have to find sets of five from now on or start buying two sets. (See that one red needle? That's from a second set. The other three red ones have a sock on them I started about a bajillion years ago when I was petrified of knitting them.)

No more casting on for stuff! I have way too many big projects going to get more needles click-clacking. I will allow for some toy-crocheting; that's fast and easy. Plus, I have this great idea in my head for pattern design. (Not telling! Okay, one hint: it's a food on a stick.)

3 comments:

Danielle A. said...

I remember how afraid you were of socks when we met you a year and a half ago... now look at you! :)

And - I can't wait to see what this secret project is...

Kimberly Pye said...

I'm so glad I got through that phase, lemme tell ya!

Special hint alert: they also come in bite-size (without the stick) and will burn your mouth if you don't let them cool long enough.

Danielle A. said...

Hmmm... I wonder if it starts with a corn and ends with a dog...

I'll have to wait and see. :)