Thursday, January 24, 2008

My Hippy Kids*

Here's today's Kimber Daily News:


And here's an explanation:

For right now, we're both pretty sure we don't want kids. That could change, but for now, no way, José.

But over the last couple of days I've been thinking I would be more likely to change my mind if we started all over somewhere far away, if we drastically changed our lifestyle.

I think it would be fun to raise our kids on a big ol' plot of land in the southwestern United States. When we drove through there on our honeymoon, I asked Dan if we could live there someday. I don't know if he believed me, but I seriously want to live in the middle of almost nowhere. I would be fine without shopping malls and cable TV. Besides, we'd have the people at the next farm over to be friends with.

The trouble is, we'd have to save up a lot of money. And we'd to have make a lot of money there somehow to maintain a culturally vibrant lifestyle (and to feed the sheep and ducks and pigs).

Maybe moving away is just a cop-out. Basically, my thinking goes like this: Massachusetts doesn't need more Massachusetts kids, and if I try to raise kids here, I'll be too tempted to let them be Massachusetts kids. Maybe I'm too lazy to try.

And when I saw my updated gadget on my Google homepage, this was also there:


I love this. When I read it, it seemed to make sense for this thought-train I'm on. Maybe if I ever had kids, I would want them to be in a better, more closely-knit community than I've ever found in the Merrimack Valley.

But you know what? I don't have to worry about this now. I'm fine never having kids, but if I do end up with 'em, we'll deal with it then.

Que será será.


*If this post ever gets deleted, it's probably because I've had kids and they've learned to read. I hope Google's page-caching technology doesn't get too advanced in the meantime!

3 comments:

Shannon said...

Word. I'm on board your thought train. I'll let you know when we start to build a commune back in the Valley.

Danielle A. said...

Interesting perspective. That IS a great quote though. Per recent conversations, as a not-poor person I feel inspired to prove the guy wrong now. I'll have to keep that in the front of my brains. :)

Kimberly Pye said...

Well that's a lovely way to look at it! Good for you!

Man, gotta love ol' Steinbeck.