Thursday, January 31, 2008

Maple, Yogurt, Cake

I have a maple spice cake in the oven because I need to use up the giant tub of plain fat-free Stoneyfield Farm Organic yogurt Dan got for the curry I made last weekend. It turns out you can make a heckuvvalot of stuff with yogurt. (I'm even gonna rub some of it on some chicken one o' these days, and then shake spices all over it and bake it.)

The cake (recipe can be found at http://www.stonyfield.com) has a whole cup of maple syrup in it! This was very exciting for me because my container of maple syrup looks like this:


The cake batter was so tempting, I did what I swore I would never do again after getting what I'm sure was salmonella: I licked some batter off the spatula! (It was good. No regrets. Yet.)

And then I remembered reading that you can replace sour cream with yogurt in any ol' dip recipe. So I scooped out some more yogurt and added just about every spice and salt and herb I could find in the cabinet. It's very, very tasty.


With all that fat-free yogurt, it's practically healthier than the vegetables you could dip in it. And I know it's healthier than the several crackers I swiped through it!

(One minute till the oven beeps!)

1 comment:

Danielle A. said...

Can't wait to hear how the cake was. Nice creativity with the dip - glad it turned out tasty. :)

And... that's a LOT of maple syrup...