Friday, January 04, 2008

I hate politics.


(Welcome.)

I'm glad I can still read most of the Arabic on the American University in Cairo web site. Reading Arabic is one of those mad skillz I'd hate to lose. I really should keep studying it.


Last night on the way to my office to pick up my car, Dan and I listened to a senator and presidential candidate blab on and on about all kinds of sad people who don't have access to health care. He said "Why?" a lot, but it was more like "Waaa?" So I made fun of him by saying, "People are sick and can't go to the doctor. Waa, waa! (Call the waaaaambulance.)"

Universal health care is just not something I can get behind. Surviving costs money, and if there's no money and no assistance, you're dead. It is not our country's job to make sure everyone is healthy. That's completely impractical. Doctors need money, and I'm all for them making lots of money. There's no way they can make money if they have to do everything for free.

And I know I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area as far as where, exactly, money will come from and how, exactly, this crazy plan will work, but it's dumb. And here's the harsher reality: we don't want everyone to live a long time. Some people have to die. There's not enough room for everyone to keep living. That's life.

So let's say we do implement this free health care stuff. Then what? After it becomes normal, are we going to start whining about all the poor kids in Africa with a cleft palate? "Whaaa? Whaaa?" Here's why: they don't have doctors! And we can't just fix the whole world! Deal with it!

And I'm not even going into how sucky this country is at preventative medicine. Maybe there wouldn't be so many people getting sick and dying and mooching off the system if the government weren't appeasing the lobbyists who are protecting the manufacturers who use partially hydrogenated oils (an actual poison) for no good reason and then, when people get mad, switch to interesterified oils (that means fully hydrogenated--clearly worse than being partially hydrogenated) and think they can slip that right on by.

In lighter news: I found out my grandmother is still a Canadian citizen! I'm looking into what that means for me, then I'm outta here.

Edit: It means nothing for me. I have to go through the long process just like everyone else. So we'd have to move to Canada for three years and try to survive, then hope they accept us. Darn.

5 comments:

Dan said...

Of course Canada does have universal health care.

Kimberly Pye said...

But Canada is also more proactive about preventative care (and eliminating trans fat!).

And everyone gets free caribou eggs, which are really good for you.

Plus, a lot of people die is snow drifts, so that evens it out.

Danielle A. said...

The other thing with Canada is that because of the universal health care, I have heard that their health care isn't as good as it is in the US.

I'm with you 100% on universal health care though. I think it's totally ridiculous. What kills me about a lot of politicians is that the same ones who spout about universal health care's wonderfulness are the same ones who want lower taxes and a capitalist society. You can't have it all, my politician friends. ;)

Kimberly Pye said...

I've heard good and bad about Canada's health care. I guess it depends on what you think is "good."

My brother had to utilize Denmark's universal health care and he was very impressed with how quickly they just met his demands and gave him the shots he needed to go into Uganda, no questions asked.

And Canadians get the crap taxed out of 'em, so you're right; more care + fewer taxes does not compute.

Kimberly Pye said...

And apparently the Danes get the crap taxed of them, too. I have to write "Happy Birthday" on any packages I send my brother so they know it's a gift. If it's just a box, he has to pay a tax for receiving it.