Thursday, December 20, 2007

I love New York City! (Oh, yeah, New York City!)

Dan and I had an awesome time in New York City last weekend! I don't really know what to say about the whole trip except that we had lots of fun walking around, eating street-vendor food, and seeing play.

Alright, how about a food post?

We had Tim Horton's on the way there:
And Dave & Buster's for dinner the first night:
Over the course of the weekend, we got nuts, coconut, a pretzel, and a hot dog from street vendors. The nuts (cashews) and coconut chunks were honey roasted and amazingly tasty and fabulous. It was so cold that weekend, and it was nice to munch on warm, crunchy snacks while we walked around.
The pretzel wasn't so fabulous. Apparently the pretzel/hotdog/shish kabob guys have some kind of agreement with Kingsford Charcoal. And that's all well and good, except the pretzels were all smokey flavored. And mine didn't have enough salt on it. Some mustard would have been nice, too. And despite all these complaints, I did eat the whole thing (and Dan helped).
Before we saw The Screwtape Letters on Saturday, we went to Hatsuhana, a sushi restaurant we're definitely going back to next time we're in Manhattan. We tried a new thing: Asparagus Makki! It's just like kappa makki, but with a little hunk of asparagus instead of cucumber. The crunch of the asparagus is a nice surprise! The service there was so completely unbelievable, I really don't think a genuine King would get better treatment than we did!
Before we left the City for the last time, I got a hot dog on the way to Penn Station. It was spectacular in it's own special way.
And, since I'm such a geek about it, here are the pictures I made Dan take of me in front of The McGraw-Hill Companies and Simon & Schuster corporate headquarters. Interestingly, they are directly across from each other on Avenue of the Americas. When we move to New York City, it's likely I'll be working in one of the two. (Wink.) Oh! I get butterflies just thinking about it!!
The McGraw-Hill Companies

Simon & Schuster

And Dan even got some hiking in while we were at Central Park!

New York is super fun, but there's no way we can move there until we're both making tons of money. I don't think there's much of a middle class; you're either bummin' around on the subway and sleeping in doorways or strutting around in tall boots and a long black coat lookin' gorgeous.

In other news, I got tons of pictures for my 12 Days of Kimberly's Birthday song while we were there, but I'm still looking for 6, 8, and 11.

2 comments:

Rob Blatt said...

The middle class live in Brooklyn, Queens and Inwood/Hudson Heights.

Kimberly Pye said...

But we need tons of money because we want to live at One Fifth Avenue. ;-)