Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A Happy Thanksgiving

We went to Maine on Wednesday, spent the night in my parents' house, and watched "Meet the Fockers" (one of the worst movies I've ever seen).

We visited Dan's family Thursday morning, then drove the 100 miles from Bangor to Smyrna Mills, Maine. Thanksgiving was sort of odd without Benjamin there, but Thanksgiving has never been a huge, important holiday in our family anyway, so it wasn't too big of a deal. It mostly just felt like we were having an elaborate lunch with my grandparents.

Nobody ate the cranberry sauce I made. The real cranberry sauce my grandmother made, on the other hand, was just delicious.
Fresh from the can.

After digesting lunch my mom, Dan, and I picked fir tips for making wreaths. We wore the required two pieces of orange to make sure the hunters didn't shoot us. (That's the pile of tips behind us, to the left.)

Super stylin' in the Maine woods!

Later in the evening my mom and I made pine cone hedgehogs. It took us a long time to figure out how to make the nose not look stupid, and the feet kept getting stuck to the paper plate, and the clay was all dirty by the time we got everything straightened out, but they came out perfectly adorable!
Family of Hedgies.

We watched "Blades of Glory" (a non-stop laugh-fest!), and then I insisted we watch "Elf," since it was officially Christmastime. My mom was smart enough to go to bed. My dad and Dan stayed up with me, but I fell asleep shortly after Buddy asked Jovie if she wanted to eat food.

We left the camp on Friday evening. We visited Dan's mom and little siblings. Markus and Melisa took turns with the camera, taking pictures of the other kid and the other supervising grown up.

Dan & Melisa

Kimberly & Markus

Back at my house, we saw the Northern Lights (Dan wrote all about that in his blog), and when my parents got home, my mom made nachos, and we we watched "Live Free or Die Hard," and it was awesome. (We watched a lot of movies, I guess!)

On Saturday morning, I climbed up into the attic to get a Barbie doll (I'm going to try my hand at making clothes for her), and my mom reminded me about the crocheted dolls my grandmother made for me. I took some time to dig through them and pose like I was actually playing with them. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

Chocolate Chip and her British-looking friend.

All dressed up and no place to go.

And then we (Mom, Dan, and I) made wreathes. Dan made one for his dad, and the one I made is hanging on our door.

Arranging icy branches.

We visited Dan's family again before leaving town, then we went shopping in Bangor. I didn't find any clothes at Goodwill (as per usual), but I did get a bag of wool to spin into yarn. (More on that later.) After shopping and visiting Dan's sister at Old Navy (where she is employed), we met my parents at Texas Roadhouse for dinner.

We got home at 12:10 am, and we very gladly climbed into our own bed.

On Sunday, we went to the gym (I ran two miles!), I bought stuff to make a drop spindle, and we cleaned the house.

Nathan and Priscila came over later in the evening -- with my Magic Yarn Ball!! (More on that later, too!) Priscila helped me clean out cooked pumpkins, and I supervised while she made my sweet potato pie recipe. The four of us made English muffin pizzas together, then watched a very silly British movie. I knit a Christmas ornament from the pattern included with my Yarn Ball, and then we ate pie.

No comments: