Thursday, October 18, 2007

Wanna Make Socks Wo Oh

The thing about socks (and anything else that comes in pairs) is once you're all done with a whole sock, you still have to do the same thing all over again before you have anything useful.

This is a bad thing for a person who's so prone to starting several new projects while several others remain unfinished. It's one thing to leave a scarf on the needles for several months, but when I find two single mittens (one with a thumb, one without) in my WIP basket, I have to admit I have a problem. But mittens are so much quicker than socks!

And the truth comes out: I'm just afraid of that blue sock.
I made a special trip to my grandparents' house a long, long time (at least three years) ago to have my grandmother teach me her sock recipe. She wrote out the instructions before I got there, and we worked through the cuff together. She sent me home to do the back of the ankle all by myself, and I've been on the back of the ankle ever since. Once, when she was at my family's house, I showed her the sock, and she said, "What have you done to that sock?" She patiently undid several rows of stitching for me and worked it back up to where I had left off.

Two days ago outta nowhere I got the guts to pick up that wicked sock again. I'm still scared as heck, and I have no idea what I'm going to do when I get out of the Ankle Forest and have to walk into the Pit of Instep Despair, but I'll deal with that when I get there.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Nice obscure Andrew WK reference ;-)

Kimberly Pye said...

Thanks! Glad you got it. We're cool. ;-)

Danielle A. said...

You'll get it, I know you can! :)

Shannon said...

Don't let that sock intimidate you! If you need backup, just give me a call. I have knit many of its brethren.