Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Do you like ______?

Remember when we were smart enough to ask our friends, "Do you like Suzy?" before we started trashing Suzy?

I keep thinking about bad things people have said about other people, people I have no problem with. I'd just rather not know some things about some people, and I feel bad that I do.

If our friends asked first, we can say, "Well, yeah, kinda. I don't really know her," and our friends can say, "Oh, yeah, okay," and find someone else to listen to the news about Suzy. Or we can say, "Yeah, Suzy sucks," and at least we can make the choice to hear more.

I think it was better that way.

3 comments:

Danielle A. said...

I have no idea what you're talking about, and hopefully I'm not the one who did that because I agree with you and so would then feel bad.

:(

Kimberly Pye said...

Nope. It's not you! It hasn't even happened in a long time, but I'm the lucky jerk who has to keep thinking about all the old crap people have said.

What am I talking about? It's mostly just a general comment.

And I find there's a difference (a big difference) between people sharing their feelings about how mean people have been to them and people trashing other people with the intention of making those people look inferior (or making themselves look superior).

I can deal with the former; not so much with the latter.

Danielle A. said...

It's a good general comment and observation. Like I said, I agree with you. :)