Monday, July 16, 2007

Under the Almond Tree

I spent some intentional "emptying" time on an empty beach this weekend, getting over myself and letting God speak to me through prayer and Bible reading. I rather randomly opened to Jeremiah, and started from there.

Jeremiah 8:7 says, "Even the stork in the sky knows her appointed seasons, and the dove, the swift and the thrush observe the time of their migration. But my people do not know the requirements of the Lord."

The thoughts I wrestled with:
~ What does God require of me? What does He want of me? How do I love Him?
~ I have to be the woman God wants me to be, a woman who provides God's love to her husband (and someday, children).
~ I have to cultivate in myself now the habits I want to see in my family.

I started flipping to another section of the Bible, but an underlined verse along the way got my attention instead: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind," (Romans 12:2).

Daily renewing of the mind, especially through exercises like this one, are necessary, and will result in transformation. Transformation is a process.

I also found this encouraging: Jeremiah had a vision of a branch of an almond tree. God told him, "You have seen correctly, for I am watching to see that my word is fulfilled," (Jeremiah 1:11-12).

I love this because of God's clear promise to make sure His word is fulfilled, but also because of the word game God played with Jeremiah. The Hebrew for "watching" sounds like the Hebrew for "almond tree." I like knowing that my God enjoys language as much as I do.

No comments: