Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mean bison living in Buffalo, New York

I love the English language. The following sentence is grammatically correct, and it thrills me to think about its fabulously complicated (yet simple) structure.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

It makes so much sense to me now, I don't even have to look it up to remember where the capital-Bs go! And you can string any number of "buffalo"s together to make a perfectly good sentence -- even just one.

Buffalo!

3 comments:

Benjamin Bustard said...

That's really funny.

Laura :) said...

that is SO bizarre that you posted about that because my sister just told me about that sentence. But, she didn't know what it meant. ;) Smart work Mrs.Pye

Kimberly Pye said...

For the information of the curious:

It means "Bison from Buffalo, NY that bison from Buffalo, NY bother bother bison from Buffalo, NY."

Or in a more literal translation, "Buffalo bison that Buffalo bison bother bother Buffalo bison."